This is a complete history of my education and work experience and is current as of July 2018.
- University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho
Ph.D. Biology 2018.
Dissertation: Influences of environmental variation on the bold-shy continuum.
Adviser: Dr. Barrie Robison
- Drew University, Madison, New Jersey
B.A. magna cum laude 2004; Major: Biology; Minor: Music.
GPA: 3.42 (major) / 3.65 (overall); member of βββ Biology Honor Society
Research: Predation Risks and the Changing of the Seasons in Mixed-Species Flocks. Drew University, 2004
- The School For Field Studies, Centre for Rainforest Studies, Queensland, Australia
Fall 2002 (semester abroad).
Research: Strata preference, behavior, and home ranges of avifauna in a riparian rainforest fragment adjacent to a restoration site on the Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia. Centre for Rainforest Studies, 2002.
Ph.D. Research: Influences of environmental variation on the bold-shy continuum
- Designed and used behavioral protocols to assess boldness using zebrafish (Danio rerio)
- Designed video tracking set-up to collect behavioral data.
- Bred, raised, and maintained zebrafish populations
Undergraduate Research: Behavior of mixed-species flocks of wintering songbirds
- Observed foraging behavior at feeders in the Drew forest preserve
- Collected bird calls for use in playback experiments
- Analyzed data to show differential behavior by species according to hierarchical social rank.
Directed Research: Home range and habitat use of birds around a rain forest restoration site
- Collected location data of banded individuals using GPS
- Analyzed data for individual and species ranges using GIS
University of Idaho, Biology Department August 2010 – May 2017
- Biol310/315 – Genetics – Fall 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Biol481 – Ichthyology – Spring 2013
- Biol314 – Ecology and Population Biology – Spring 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Biol212 – Cellular and Molecular Biology – Fall 2010
Sheridan School Mountain Campus March – November 2008 & 2009
- Lead school students in a variety of team building, high ropes, environmental education, and outdoor adventure activities.
- Assisted with kitchen duties and site maintenance as necessary.
- Lead Summer Adventure Camps.
Ferry Beach Ecology School September – November 2006 & 2007
- Taught field classes in various topics of coastal ecology.
- Assisted with facility care.
- Supervised visiting students.
Max McGraw Wildlife Foundation January – August 2007
- Taught field classes in various aspects of ecology to grade school students.
- Created and developed new programs and modified existing programs.
- Created and lead summer nature camp programs.
McDowell Environmental Center September – December 2005, February-May 2006
- Taught field classes in various aspects of ecology and team building to students from pre-k to high school.
- Handled and cared for live raptors and reptiles.
New Jersey Audubon Society September 2004-August 2005
Environmental Educator at the Weis Ecology Center
- Taught field classes in various aspects of ecology to students from pre-k to high school.
- Led public interpretive programs.
- Handled and cared for live raptors and reptiles.
- Managed volunteers.
New Jersey Governor’s School for the Sciences. July-August 2002, 2003 and 2004
Counselor and mentor for students
- Teacher’s Assistant for biology lab (2002), chemistry lab (2003, 2004) and for classes
- Team project leader in ecology (2002, 2004) and in chemistry (2003)
- Supervised students in the dormitories.
Awards and Grants
2016 – GPSA Travel Award for travel to Evolution meeting. $603.00
2015 – GPSA Travel Award for travel to Animal Behavior meeting. $700.00
2011 – SGP Dissemination Award for travel to the 2012 SICB meeting. $1306.64
Singer, M.L. and B.D. Robison. Predation and resource availability shape the evolution of risk-taking behavior. Evolution. Austin, TX. Oral Presentation.
Singer, M.L., M. Bromley, B.D. Robison. Effects of habitat complexity in the rearing environment on adult behavior. Evo-WIBO. Port Townsend, WA. Poster
Singer, M.L. and B.D. Robison. Using function-value trait analysis to quantify video tracked behavioral data (updated). IBEST Science Expo. Moscow, ID. Poster
Singer, M.L., M Bromley, B.D. Robison. Effects of long-term and short-term exposure to complexity on anxiety in Zebrafish. Annual meeting of the Animal Behavior Society. Anchorage, AK. Oral Presentation.
Singer, M.L. and B.D.Robison. Using function-value trait analysis to quantify video tracked behavioral data (updated). College of Science Student Research Exposition. Moscow, ID. Poster
Singer, M.L. and B.D.Robison. Using function-value trait analysis to quantify video tracked behavioral data. Evo-Wibo. Port Townsend, WA. Poster
Singer, M.L., E. St. John, B.D. Robison. The bold-shy continuum and exploratory axis of behavior: are they the same? Evolution. Snowbird, UT. Oral Presentation.
Singer, M.L., M.E. Oswald, B.D. Weideback, B.D. Robison. The genetic architecture of the bold-shy continuum in Zebrafish, Danio rerio. Evo-Wibo. Port Townsend, WA. Oral Presentation.
Singer, M.L., M.E. Oswald, B.D. Weideback, B.D. Robison. The genetic architecture of the bold-shy continuum in Zebrafish, Danio rerio. Annual meeting of the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology. Charleston, SC. Oral Presentation.
Programming & Scripting Languages
- R, LaTeX, Unix, Python, PERL, SAS, C++