This is a complete history of my education and work experience and is current as of April 2012. For a hard copy please e-mail your request to matt [at] mineral2 [dot] com.
- University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho
Ph.D. Biology 2017.
Dissertation: Influences of environmental variation on the bold-shy continuum.
Adviser: Dr. Barrie Robison
- Drew University, Madison, New Jersey
B.A. magna cum laude 2004; Major: Biology; Minor: Music.
GPA: 3.42 (major) / 3.65 (overall); member of βββ Biology Honor Society
Research: Predation Risks and the Changing of the Seasons in Mixed-Species Flocks. Drew University, 2004
- The School For Field Studies, Centre for Rainforest Studies, Queensland, Australia
Fall 2002 (semester abroad).
Research: Strata preference, behavior, and home ranges of avifauna in a riparian rainforest fragment adjacent to a restoration site on the Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia. Centre for Rainforest Studies, 2002.
University of Idaho, Biology Department August 2010 – May 2017
- Biol310/315 – Genetics – Fall 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Biol481 – Ichthyology – Spring 2013
- Biol314 – Ecology and Population Biology – Spring 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Biol212 – Cellular and Molecular Biology – Fall 2010
Sheridan School Mountain Campus March – November 2008 & 2009
- Lead school students in a variety of team building, high ropes, environmental education, and outdoor adventure activities.
- Assist with kitchen duties and site maintenance as necessary.
- Lead Summer Adventure Camps.
Ferry Beach Ecology School September – November 2006 & 2007
- Teach field classes in various topics of coastal ecology; assist with dining hall and facility care; supervise students at bedtime.
Max McGraw Wildlife Foundation January – August 2007
- Teach field classes in various aspects of ecology to grade school students.
- Create and develop new programs and modify existing programs
- Create and lead summer camps
McDowell Environmental Center September – December 2005, February-May 2006
- Teach field classes in various aspects of ecology to students from pre-k to high school
- Experience handling raptors for live-animal programs.
New Jersey Audubon Society September 2004-August 2005
Environmental Educator at the Weis Ecology Center
- Teach field classes in various aspects of ecology to students from pre-k to high school; care for raptors and reptiles
New Jersey Governor’s School for the Sciences. July-August 2002, 2003 and 2004
Counselor and mentor for students
- Teacher’s Assistant for biology lab (2002), chemistry lab (2003, 2004) and for classes
- Team project leader in ecology (2002, 2004) and in chemistry (2003)
Awards and Grants
2016 – GPSA Travel Award for travel to Evolution meeting. $603.00
2015 – GPSA Travel Award for travel to Animal Behavior meeting. $700.00
2011 – SGP Dissemination Award for travel to the 2012 SICB meeting. $1306.64
Singer, M.L. and B.D. Robison. Predation and resource availability shape the evolution of risk-taking behavior. Evolution. Austin, TX. Oral Presentation.
Singer, M.L., M. Bromley, B.D. Robison. Effects of habitat complexity in the rearing environment on adult behavior. Evo-WIBO. Port Townsend, WA. Poster
Singer, M.L. and B.D. Robison. Using function-value trait analysis to quantify video tracked behavioral data (updated). IBEST Science Expo. Moscow, ID. Poster
Singer, M.L., M Bromley, B.D. Robison. Effects of long-term and short-term exposure to complexity on anxiety in Zebrafish. Annual meeting of the Animal Behavior Society. Anchorage, AK. Oral Presentation.
Singer, M.L. and B.D.Robison. Using function-value trait analysis to quantify video tracked behavioral data (updated). College of Science Student Research Exposition. Moscow, ID. Poster
Singer, M.L. and B.D.Robison. Using function-value trait analysis to quantify video tracked behavioral data. Evo-Wibo. Port Townsend, WA. Poster
Singer, M.L., E. St. John, B.D. Robison. The bold-shy continuum and exploratory axis of behavior: are they the same? Evolution. Snowbird, UT. Oral Presentation.
Singer, M.L., M.E. Oswald, B.D. Weideback, B.D. Robison. The genetic architecture of the bold-shy continuum in Zebrafish, Danio rerio. Evo-Wibo. Port Townsend, WA. Oral Presentation.
Singer, M.L., M.E. Oswald, B.D. Weideback, B.D. Robison. The genetic architecture of the bold-shy continuum in Zebrafish, Danio rerio. Annual meeting of the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology. Charleston, SC. Oral Presentation.
Programming & Scripting Languages
- R, LaTeX, Unix, Python, PERL, SAS, C++